Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Vocabulary:


Unaka Mountains - parent mountain range on the eastern border of the state.

Valley and Ridge of the Cumberland Plateau - The Cumberland Plateau is a deeply dissected plateau, with topographic relief commonly of about four hundred feet (120 meters), and frequent sandstone outcroppings and bluffs. The
Cumberland Plateau is the southern part of the Appalachian Plateau

The Highland Rim - a geographic term for the area in Tennessee surrounding the Central Basin. Nashville is largely surrounded by higher terrain in all directions. Geologicially, the Central Basin is actually opposite, being a dome. The Highland Rim is a cuesta surrounding the basin, and the border where the difference in elevation is sharply pronounced is an escarpment. Nashville is located in the northwestern corner of the Basin.

The Central Basin - The Nashville Basin, also known as the Central Basin, is a term often used to describe the area surrounding Nashville, Tennessee. The Central Basin was caused by an uplifting known as the Nashville Dome. The Nashville Dome is evidenced by the underlying rock strata that all dip downwards away from Nashville.

The Gulf Coastal Plain - West of the Highland Rim and Nashville Basin is the Gulf Coastal Plain, which includes the Mississippi embayment. The Gulf Coastal Plain is, in terms of area, the predominant land region in Tennessee. It is part of the large geographic land area that begins at the Gulf of Mexico and extends north into southern Illinois. In Tennessee, the Gulf Coastal Plain is divided into three sections that extend from the Tennessee River in the east to the Mississippi River in the west.

Three Grand Divisions - The state of Tennessee is geographically and constitutionally divided into three Grand Divisions: East Tennessee, Middle Tennessee, and West Tennessee.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ms.Morton,

    I came on the blog to study my test. I hope I do d tomorrow.

    Maya Rashad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Morton,

    My name is Michael Morton and I teach in Hamilton County. I utilize your website often. I hope you don't mind that I use your website as a resource.
    I have limited resources in my classroom. I am a older teacher but this is only my 2nd year in the classroom. I have a question about the TCAP Dictionary. Is this an assignment they work on in class or a homework assignment? If this is class assignment what resources do you use or allow the students to use to locate the definitions.
    I could not find your email. My email is morton_m@hcde.org . I look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks,
    Mike Morton

    ReplyDelete